Welcome to our new blog!

Welcome to our blog where we share our new love of foraging, cooking, home-brew and other attempts at self sufficiency!

Sunday 20 February 2011

Granola

I love grown up cereals but at £2.50 for a small box, I could buy at least 3 own brand cereals for the children so decided to make my own. I started out making a recipe which I have listed here.

Ingrediants
500g porridge oats
200g granulated sugar
100g mixed chopped nuts
3tbsp vegetable oil
3tbsp lemon juice
3tbsp golden syrup

Preaheat oven to 150C
Mix together the liquid ingrediants
Place all the dry ingrediants in a large roasting tray
Pour the wet mix over the dry mix and stir
Bake in oven for 10 minutes and then stir thoroughly
Bake for another 10 minutes and stir again
Bake for a further 10 minutes or until the mix has a golden brown colour

2 comments:

  1. For a tropical granola replace the nuts with a mixed fruit mix, add 100g of dessicated coconut and substitute the golden syrup with rose-hip syrup.

    For a seedy granola add 50g sunflower seeds and 50g pumpkin seeds to the basic mix

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks useful! I usually mix up (uncooked) oats with nuts and raisins, but I'm getting bored of it, so this could make a nice change :-)

    Like you, I'd prefer the expensive stuff, but...

    ReplyDelete